About the SAMA bursary program
Founded in 1998, the SAMA bursaries are meant for young talented students who want to study courses within the medical sector. The programme comes at the right time where the South African medical field is going through a shortfall of people who are required to fill certain positions.
This offer by SAMA, is an opportunity for interested students to enrol in medical courses and become experts so as to fight diseases and building on sound medical assistance in South Africa. The bursary program only offers partial aid to selected candidates and ought to be seen as an additional bursary.
The bursary is designed for Grade 12 students who wish to study in the fields provided. It is additionally also made available for candidates who are their first year to their fourth year. Funding will however only be paid into their University account where they are studying within the Medical field.
Candidates who receive funding fail their funding will be stopped. The SAMA bursary will be continual yearly as long as the bursary candidate keeps their grades up and pass successfully each year.
SAMA bursaries available for 2018-2019
SAMA offers bursaries to talented candidates who have a strong passion for helping others. They provide financial aid to deserving candidates to study within the medical profession.
Some of these include fields include:
- Bachelor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Surgery
SAMA bursaries: requirements
- Applicants must be South African citizens
- Candidates must include a detailed curriculum vitae with contact details
- Ensure you have contactable references, as well as any information you feel may be suitable to the application
- Please also include certified copies of all relevant certificates and ID Document.
Applicants will be obligated to have the following:
- Candidates must have Matric
- Candidates must be in need of financial assistance
- Candidate must have exceptional academic records
- Candidates from a historically disadvantaged background will get preference
- Candidates must be proficient in English, read, write and speak
- Candidates must have good communication skills
- Candidates must show a commitment to learn
- Candidates must provide a letter of acceptance from a Medical Education Program within South Africa
Candidates who receive additional funding may do so, however, this needs to be declared to the committee. Candidates currently studying in the medical fields mentioned may also apply for funding if they meet all requirements.
The following will be taken into consideration by the committee for bursary awards:
- Academic Merits of candidate
- Leadership Qualities of candidate
- Recommendations received
- Awards or Prizes received
- Historical Disadvantage
SAMA bursaries online application forms
The bursary programme has an online application system so applicants can send their applications online. Candidates applying must ensure they complete all fields of the application, and sign the form before sending it in. Candidates must ensure that they provide the following documentation, certified copies only with their application:
- South African ID Document or Birth Certificate
- Address, e-mail details, contact details and full names as is found on ID document
- A letter of acceptance from a Medical School within South Africa
- A motivational letter of Curriculum Vitae (2 pages Max)
- Recommendation letters
- Awards or Prizes received
Applicants can return the application with relevant documentation to, firstname.lastname@example.org or post to SAMA. Any application with missing information or documentation, will not be considered.
SAMA bursaries: closing date
The closing date for applications is end of August.